Sunday, April 28, 2019

GSA Audition - Day 1 and 2

As I have my GSA audition on 26.03.19 I traveled down the day before to ensure that I would be on time for my audition and I would be able to prepare for my audition at the hotel.


 
Email Confirmation of my GSA Audition Date

First of all, I rehearsed the song I would be singing which is 'The Life I Never Led' from Sister Act. I did a 10 minute vocal warm up following a voice recording of Neil's set warm up before rehearsing my audition piece. I then sing through the song once looking at the score and then again without the score. I was already very confident on my lyrics of the song but I wanted to sing with the aid of the score once to ensure I was singing every word correctly. Then the second time I ran through the song I focused on my performance by communicating the journey that my character goes through during the song. I didn't want to spend an extreme amount of time singing as I didn't want to over use and strain my voice before the audition.
After preparing my singing, I did some dance preparation to ensure I could go into the audition room fully confident. I did 3 minutes of straight cardio as a physical warm up, 10 minutes of strength training and 20 minutes of stretching. Again, I didn't want to over work my body the day before an audition as I didn't want my muscles to be sore the next day, so I did enough exercise to prepare my body for the audition without putting too much stress on my body.

The day of my audition I was that my singing call would be first and my dance call would be later. During the audition I focused on ensuring I was acting through song whilst maintaining diction, proper breathing and character portrayal. During the dance class I placed a positive look on my face during the warm up and ensured I made strong yet appropriate performance choices and despite the dance not being extremely technical, I still applied technique by demonstrating the correct posture and staying on the balls of my feet.

 Sheet Music for The Life I Never Led from Sister Act

After the audition, I traveled home ready to return to my high school to shadow the drama and dance department until the end of the week.





No comments:

Post a Comment